Safari Travel Clothing
We traveled as light as possible - which gave us more flexibility in moving from place to place. We did a ton of research on lightweight, quick-drying travel clothing.
- We each had two pairs of quick dry pants for the trip & that worked great. Exofficio & Royal Robbins make nice pants with hidden zippered pockets that are great for travel.
- Patagonia silk-weight long sleeve shirts worked wonderfully in the heat -- they breathe well and give you some sun protection. I’m not a fan of the heavier weight & more expensive Exofficio safari shirts.
- You’ll want a fleece jacket for the chilly evenings.
- You absolutely need a hat.
- Don't wear too much blue or black. The tsetse flies are attracted to those colors and they bite really hard (plus they can give you sleeping sickness).
- Take several handkerchiefs or bandanas. The cheap ones from REI work great. You can put one over your mouth to keep dust out (bandit style) or soak one in water & tie it around your neck or head to keep cool.
Questions and Answers
Hi i\'m going on safari to Mombassa on Wednesday, what clothing do you suggest as basic/essntials? For footwear-would a good sports trainer do, or is there any particular style of light footwear i should buy? Thankyou.Any advice welcome.
Like our off-the- beaten path tips? Get even more ideas in a handy printable format you can take with you on your trip! Click here to buy our guides!